Sunday, June 08, 2014

Nesting

No, I'm not pregnant (phew!), just playing around with ideas based on my fat quarter of fabric from Tula Pink's 'Nest' collection.




The other week during C & T Publishing's sale, I bought some more e-books. Yes, I'm a book addict, always have been. Anyway, I grabbed Mary Fons' Make + Love Quilts which featured a quilt that I instantly fell in love with. If you use the Preview feature, you can see it near the start of the book. It's all little half-square triangles with a navy solid on the bottom and a green print on the top. After gazing at it for the millionth time I realised it was a perfect opportunity to use one of my Valentine's Day Tula Pink prints and make something special.
So today I took advantage of a 40% off sale at Spotlight and had some fun. I imagine the other shoppers must have had had fun watching me carrying 12 bolts of fabric up to the cutting desk, too. :P
I didn't choose based on whether I loved the print, I chose based on whether they matched the colour profile I was going for. And even though I kind of hate some of those prints, all together I think they work well.


And they work with the Nest print as well.
This is a pretty accurate version of the blue solid fabric I'll be using, too.

Then I added in a couple of scraps from my stash left over from a quilt I made for my daughter.


So, now I have my fabrics I just have to figure out exactly what I want to make. I'm not fond of copying other quilts and patterns completely, I like to make them my own, so while I'll use that lovely Mary Fons quilt and triangles as a starting point, I'm also inspired by Molli Sparkles' Kimonos Ablaze and Christina Lane's Forest Path so I'm guessing mine will turn into the bastard child of all three. :D

-Strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Err, no I don't. They scare me because eek, people!
But I need to step out of my comfort zone, so comment away and hopefully I won't find them so scary after all. :D